1 why does your Cat Waking You Up at Night?
Cats are nocturnal animals in their native habits. They sleep for almost the entire day and then play at night. There are several reasons why your cat might wake you up in the middle of the night.
- It’s possible that it’s not getting enough stimulation, entertainment, or exercise during the day, so while you’re falling asleep, your cat is fully awake and ready to play.
- If your cat spends the majority of its active time alone at home while you’re at work or elsewhere, it’s possible that it’s boring and looking for company.
- Your cat is hungry, thirsty, or wants a late-night snack or special treat.
- Your cat’s lifestyle is no longer in line with yours.
- The time of bed or litter pan of your cat has been changed.
If your cat is older and/or his or her nocturnal habit is new or unusual, take note. Check immediately your veterinarian as soon as your cat shows unusual behavior, wakes up at night for no explicable cause, appears sick, or shows other symptoms of illness.
Interrupted sleep can be an indication of sickness, ranging from mild to moderate pain like a toothache or arthritis to more serious problems like hyperthyroidism, diabetes, or neurological disorders.